Saturday, August 22, 2009

Well as of this morning I was informed that Spence is going to need to have surgery to repair an Inguinal (sp?) Hernia. They will be performing this surgery as early as next week. For this surgery he will once again be put back on the Vent. The last time he was put back on the Vent he had some trouble. I was also informed that he isn't making as much progress as the Doctor's would like. He is having issues with Acid Reflux and due to his Chronic Lung issues he is having trouble coming down on his liter and oxygen flow. Yesterday Spence was briefly put on two and a half liters, but was unable to handle it and was put back on to the three liters that he has been on for over two weeks. It is necessary for him to come down on his liters and off the Vapotherm before he will be allowed to come home. Spence also needs to be able to completely finish 8 bottle feedings. So far Spence is also having trouble with this. We are not sure if the reason he is unable to finish his bottles is due to the Chronic lung condition or if it is because of his Acid reflux. I informed the Doctor that has him today that when I feed him he doesn't seem to have any trouble finishing the bottle. Also when I feed him he never spits up. The Doctor wants me to come in today to see if I can get Spence to eat Two bottles back to back, meaning eat one at 5 pm and than to also eat one at 8 pm. If Spence is able to finish these bottles completely and have no Acid Reflux issues we are going to discuss some different options. The Doctor at first was suggesting that we do surgery to tighten the sphincter that controls the Acid reflux, he also suggested that we consider Spence having a gastro-otomy ( sp?). This is a little tube that is inserted directly into Spence's Stomach, that we would feed him through. I am a bit frazzled and have a lot to think about and I am just pretty much lost at this point. I am relying on my Heavenly Father to help me through this like so many times before. I know that all of you are constantly praying for Spence, I am asking all of you at this time to pray just a little bit harder so Spence can have the Strength to make it through these next couple of surgeries. I will keep you updated with the latest news on what has been decided for our little boy. Thank you again for all the Love and Support. It has really truly helped us through these trying times.

No comments: